Tag Archives: gay commercial

Gay Advertisements #22 and #23: Doritos Goes Gay For The Super Bowl?

The gay blogosphere has been abuzz today after Doritos leaked two gay-themed commercials.  Gawker reports Frito Lay, the maker of Doritos, plans to air the ads during the Super Bowl.  However, Towleroad says the ads are just submissions in the “Crash the Super Bowl” contest, which I think is probably the case (Doritos will air the winning commercial during the Super Bowl).

It doesn’t appear that either ad is a finalist in the contest.  I’m not surprised, not only because they’re a little too controversial for a mainstream corn chips brand, but because they aren’t particularly good.  The production quality is there, but there’s nothing new/fresh/original about the ads, and the humor is a little lazy.


GLAAD Archives Showcase Gay-Oriented Ads

The Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD), the seminal monitor of all gay media, has compiled an impressive collection of gay-oriented advertisements over the years, and you can browse through them here.  Every ad is scored based on how it portrays the GLBT community on such crtieria as same sex affection, racial and age diversity, gay pride, same sex couples, and GLBT punchline.

GLAAD’s collection has over 2500 print ads and over 14oo television commercials, and it includes any ad that may be construed as “gay,” no matter who the target is or how vague the gay reference is.  At OGM, I like to focus on ads that target the gay community, and I usually choose ads broadcast within the United States.  The vast majority of the ads on GLAAD’s website are North American (59%), but unfortunately, only 42% of all ads portray the GLBT community in a positive light.  The other 58% are classified as Neutral (31%), Negative (16%), and Stereotype (10%).  I find it startling that over a fourth of the ads portray us negatively or in a stereotypical way.

It would be interesting to break down how the ads score by geographic region, but GLAAD doesn’t give that stat.  Judging by the scores on the first few pages of ads and from my own personal experience, I would be willing to bet that the U.S. ads score much worse in terms of how they portray the GLBT community.  The sad truth is, the U.S. marketing community is light years behind some of our progressive European counterparts when it comes to how we portray gays and lesbians in mainstream media.

Gay Advertisement #5: Pepsi in the UK

Here’s a funny Pepsi ad from the UK that you might have seen before (I guess this makes up for Brits’ lack of humor surrounding this Heinz ad).  The commercial incorporates an unexpected twist that really makes the ad work.  Furthermore, I think it is a great example of a “gay” commercial that would also appeal to a straight audience.  I don’t know how much play this ad actually got on British television, but I could see it being very effective for Pepsi.

Gay Advertisement #4: Heinz Pulls Ad Featuring Two Men Kissing

At OGM, I usually like to focus on American ads, but I couldn’t resist this one.  Back in 2008, Heinz yanked this ad from British television after a furor erupted over the films ending- a kiss between two men.  Over 200 people complained to the Advertising Standards Authority that the commercial was inappropriate and offensive.  The only thing I find offensive in this whole scenario is the British sense of humor or lack thereof.  Judge for yourself.